Playing “just for fun.” (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 17, 2020, 20:46 (1432 days ago) @ unoudid

I’ve long been an advocate for just playing Destiny for fun and ignoring loot. That’s counter to the base design of Destiny, but it largely worked to make the bullshit inherent to Destiny feel less bad.

However, loot is obviously and important motivator for parts of Destiny. The season I got both Luna’s Howl and The Recluse was some of the most fun I’ve had in the game, and the season that taught me to love the Crucible. That journey was worth it for its own sake, but it’s also a journey I would not have undertaken if those guns weren’t at the end of it. Likewise, Loaded Question is one of my favorite guns in the entire series, and that’s a journey I absolutely would not have undertaken if the gun wasn’t there. Why would I continue to go on those journeys for weapons with a limited lifespan? Hell, I think Luna’s Howl was basically a year old when I actually got it.

While I’ve personally had to quit trying to cheat certain things to avoid the feeling of grind, I do think the rewarding weapons can work really well to push players to try things they otherwise might not. My Crucible journey for Luna’s and Recluse is the perfect example. It’s something I would never do again for gear with an expiration date.

And what if old activities. Forges will now reward gear that’s functionality useless. So will Reckoning. Will world drops even from old locations like The Dreaming City be updated to drop new weapons, or is it just not worth going there at all anymore?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread