Collections (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, August 05, 2020, 12:50 (1359 days ago) @ Vortech

Why not use DIM? Cause I don't want to use a third party app for something that is much easier for me in game. What if I don't have my phone on me? Hell, what if I don't have a smart phone? I don't use DIM because I don't need DIM to have fun in Destiny. You make it sound like a required tool to efficiently play Destiny.

I mean…It is? I suppose I am far more aware of the capabilities and benefits of DIM because know one of the developers, but I really think that even absent that I can't imagine trying to play the game without it (or some other inventory API tool). I'm not saying it is required to play, but to play efficiently? Yeah. for sure.

To get something I need that's on another char I will log off, log in that character, load the tower, move the item into the vault, log off, log back in with the right char, load the tower, pull it out of the vault, and then it's 20-30 minutes later? are people waiting for me during all of that? I'm going to leave an event to go to the tower to check to see if the postmaster is full or not? I have a dozen different versions of the same weapon. How am I going to compare them and choose what to keep? These are just the things that are baked into the gameplay loop. I have not even gotten into stuff like saved load outs or finding which vendors across 7 different locations will upgrade you at the given moment or doing the min-max stuff people talked about below.

I'm with you if your point is that it should not be this way, but yeah, it would be like playing with restraints. I don't need DIM to play Destiny the same way I don't need a headset.

I guess I should have pointed out that I'm a casual player. And in my mind you can play efficiently probably to the 90% at least without using outside sources. I think I"m being generous on that too. I want to be efficient as well, and I can easily do that at my play level (casual) with just Destiny UI.

I will say that a third party app like DIM or the Destiny app is really required for transfers between characters without a huge hassle. But I will also say that multi-character playing isn't casual in my mind. But that's personal opinion. I haven't touched my other characters, and thus had to use an app in... a year?

I donno, I don't play nearly as much as you guys and I don't min-max basically at all. So maybe to do that stuff you need DIM to be efficient. I just don't think casual players need those. And I would bet that the majority of Destiny players are casual players. But I don't have time like I use to, so maybe I'm just not in tune to Destiny as I use to be.

(also FWIW, DIM is a web site not an app so you don't need a smartphone)

I don't know how this is any better? In my household that's even worse and my computer is even in the same room as my TV just across the room. I've tried DIM for what little I would use it for and it was way more complicated that I needed it for. That's not to say it isn't a good app, it's just not for me. I use the Destiny app because it's simple and it does what I need it to without being complicated.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread