A game of trees (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, February 15, 2021, 17:23 (1158 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well said, though my issue is that constantly glorifying this image of heroism leads to more
loss, and to turn an actual horrific atrocity into yet another such glorification is a pitiful sanitization of history that all involved should be ashamed of.

It's propaganda and I don't believe it deserves the same protection as other art.

But this is why I said that everyone is well meaning… would you really want a world where everyone said "There's no way I'm blowing my life savings to save my granddaughter's life", or "There's no way I'm putting my life on the line for someone else"? Ideally everyone would do it.

You want to value and aspire towards heroism and putting others first as a culture. These stories have value, but you absolutely need to see them in a larger cultural context. It is not necessarily propaganda. That requires a willful distortion. According to what Tamte is saying, this is merely too narrowly focused.

It's willfully narrowly focused. Heroism without the context is propaganda.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread