+1000 (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 18, 2021, 15:18 (1163 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've pointed out the latter, and that's why I'm hopeful aboul the game, not that I hope it presents a picture of war that makes people romanticize it, but that it paints a picture that helps people understand the reality of war (and hopefully not casually or eagerly support it).

The reality of war they want to show you. This is the key. You cannot show objective reality in storytelling. So ask, what are they showing you and why?

I don't know what's IN the game, but after that interview we sure know what ISN'T.

We know only that they're not going to try to address the politics. That doesn't mean that the game can't have an impact on how people feel about war. That impact could very well persuade them to take a political position that many of the critics agree with. That's not good enough for some people--even though it might be more effective than making a game leaning into a political narrative.

We know that their goal is to attempt to show something close to the objective reality of what happened to certain people at a certain time in a a certain place. If such a thing is not possible, why do we bother to communicate?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread