A game of trees (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 13:47 (1164 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 14:07

You don't see any pitfall to that? YOU can discern the real truth of the larger context and are infallible in your capacity to do so. Perhaps a more humble approach is to focus on what is indisputably true--the human experience in a given situation, and trusting the audience to come to their own conclusions about the larger context having been informed by the experience you have to provided to them.

If you do not give them all the information, then any conclusion the audience comes to is necessarily incomplete. That is the point. All art has a viewpoint. All art is manipulative. The difference is merely where you steer them.

You say they should give all the information, while also saying it's impossible for them not to be selective in the information they give. I think what you want is for them to present information that confirms your opinions about this period of history (which you view as complete and accurate). Maybe their goal is not to present complete conclusions. In my opinion, that's the goal of essays, not art.

Tamte seems completely tone deaf here when he dismisses much of why this battle was noteworthy in the first place as 'sensationalism' or 'a distraction'. That dismissal and non inclusion is itself a value judgement.

Ask why these particular people from this particular operation were chosen to 'engender empathy for American troops in the field'.

Neither of us knows what stories will be told, but we know it's not only the troops they're aiming to present, right? Do you think they can find investors for a game about the insurgents? Maybe I'm just more willing to give them the benefit of a doubt at this point. Sounds like they are trying to do something new.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread