Great comment (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 12:33 (1159 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now the big-fat-elephant response to what I just said is that playing a video game where you control a character who kills people is absolutely nothing like actually killing people.

There is an exception to this: a drone pilot.

You can recreate the experience of killing someone with a drone 100% in a video game. The person, just like you, is looking at a video screen and manipulating it with controls. They, just like you, do not directly see those they kill.

I am actually kind of surprised nobody has effectively utilized this completely 1:1 comparison to comment on this experience.

I simply cannot process how you can see this as "recreat[ing] the experience 100%".

In one, you are playing a video game. In the other, you are killing people. While the actions are the same, the experience is absolutely not (unless you're a psychopath).

Let's say I sit you down in front of a screen. I tell you to 'play' and shoot the people. How would you know if you're controlling a drone, actually killing people, or just playing a video game?

If you weren't told beforehand, the experience could be indistinguishable.

Hey, I read Ender's Game, too. Do you remember how the kids ended up?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread