"My Vault" prevents playing Destiny (Criticism)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 16:00 (832 days ago) @ Kermit

I mean all of it. It’s striking and pretty, but actually managing anything just plain sucks. You know what works well for moving through menus? The D pad. Cursor driven menus on controllers are bad, period.

Ugh. Strongly disagree. First of all, Destiny doesn't really have any menus except on the settings pane, which I've already criticized. Beyond that, this guy does a good job describing the benefit of their approach in the first 90 seconds of this video:

You’re being pedantic. Every screen in the UI of Destiny is a menu. The gear screen, the inventory, the Director. Those are all menus.

There’s no accounting for taste, but the cursor is bad. It feels bad, it’s slow, it just sucks.

I agree that they could improve things in regards to the vault space and managing gear. The existence of things like DIM prove that (and also make it less likely Bungie will prioritize such improvements), but the interface isn't "total dogshit" IMHO, and is better than most games.

Total dogshit is maybe a bit hyperbolic, but only just barely. Using a cursor with a controller means there isn’t much they could to make it actually good because the interaction method fundamentally sucks.

This isn’t an argument really worth having, and I realize I’m the guy that just hangs around and shits on Destiny, so I’ll stop
after reiterating my point. Destiny’s menus are inherently broken, and just the thought of trying to do DIM-like organization within that system makes me shudder. It would be an exercise in frustration and I can see why they haven’t bothered.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread