That's also how I feel. (Criticism)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, January 27, 2022, 06:40 (812 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I understood that seasons were added because some players wanted content to grind even when there wasn't really any new content (more narrative, novel mechanics, new environments).

I feel like maybe you could replace the word 'players' with 'streamers' and have a more accurate sentence.

That's true, and I expect that streamers, especially big ones, have more impact, but I do think there are players that have the same attitude-- heck, to some degree, I am one-- what I wished for in the Halo era was regular, essentially subscription, content in the same engine, delivered regularly and more often, without a 3 year wait between installments.

Cue Switch meme: "not like this"

Which seems to incentivize either going all in-- base game, DLC, and season passes-- or nothing, because it seems like nobody would really be able to understand what's going on in Witch Queen without either playing several of the preceding seasons (some more relevant than others, I expect) or watching a catchup video.

It's intentional. This is how free to play is meant to work. When you're in, they want you to stay in, and thus keep paying. Interruptions would set you behind, so it's working as intended. It's not about having an accessible, lasting work of art.

Broadly speaking I agree. As others note below, I think it can be done better and with less FOMO-- ironically Fallout 76 does a good job with this. There's no story content you can "miss out" on by not being able to play during special events, and the limited time events are designed to be standalone.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread