Destiny UI and stuff (Criticism)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 16:42 (828 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That’s not at all what I mean, but I just don’t think there’s much chance of Bungie solving your issue.

Destiny’s entire UI is a fucking usability travesty. It’s total dogshit. I have exactly zero faith they could figure out any sort of tool set that would be more than barely useable for dealing with sorting gear in the vault on making value comparisons. I have even less faith it would be worth the time and effort, given all the external tools you’ve already linked for dealing with these issues. That’s a real shitty answer, I know, because it’s absolutely something they should have considered ages ago, and it’s something they should figure out. But they already got multiple people to fix their shit for them for free, so I don’t expect them to bother.

That all sounded more aggressive than I intended. Know that I’m not trying to tell you that you’re wrong or dumb for wanting Bungie to address this. My point is only: would you want to use a gear sorting and comparison tool designed by the folks that thought the Destiny UI was a good design to begin with? It seems like a lost cause to me.

That's a rather heavy handed take, even with your amended note. By and large I concur with Kerm, for the UI overall. Especially when compared to OTHER MMOs, which tend to have UI that eats up LARGE amounts of screen real estate. For the sake of the opening you've provided though, the only real nitpicks I have in the overall UI that I can recall right now is the PvP death screen and the PvE details screen.

PvP death screen shows just a gun name in a -now long- age of random rolls. Was the two tap because of the Gun Type or Multi Kill Clip X3? The game sure isn't going to tell ya, and that's rather dumb. Meanwhile, in the PvE Details screen, the whole thing is basically redundant space. It's shows how many steps are in the quest, but switching to any page past the current step gives "This quest step has not yet been revealed". Dumb. You know what happens next? I DuckDuckGo it, and POOF! Now I know all the Quest steps. They used up all this screen space and... and it's silly. Some one worked really hard on this make it look nice, but the whole purpose in its use just feels kind of redundant and poorly planned out. This impression supports some of what you ask... but.. well... switching back to the topic at hand.

As Kermit said "they could improve things in regards to the vault space and managing gear". Yet, to respond to "I just don’t think there’s much chance of Bungie solving your issue"... I know. Y'all want to know what the current name of my ever pending after-Witch-Queen rant is? No!? ...oh... WELL HERE IT IS ANYWAY! It's called "The Curse of D.I.M". I know. I know I know I know, I see it, I get it. One does not need to be a "never-enough-time" Game Dev to understand.

To answer your question...

...would you want to use a gear sorting and comparison tool designed by the folks that thought the Destiny UI was a good design to begin with?...

If their dumb UI helps the player-base to get to actually playing Destiny, instead of working to play Destiny, then yes. Whole hardly. With out delay. Because if they DID screw the pooch, OH, THE FAN BASE WOULD TELL! A new coat of UI is always at least a little divisive, but the input generated should make things even better. (Which by the way... D.I.M prevents!) Come on Bungo, let's keep this years momentum going!

Repeating Myself here again, I think this is hitting consensus, if you say nothing it only reaffirms that nothing shall be done. Over on reddit, this is a topic that seems to pop up at least once a week, like a dripping faucet. This is definitely something on folks minds, but it isn't being expressed enough. Good enough is apparently the best some folks care about, which I can't hit on too hard as life can really sand one down. I get it, but it's not right, and we as fans should hold Bungie to that higher standard. Someday I'd like to be able to do it in person, be it a job or "super specialized ninja invite", but until then...

[image]

I GET TO REDUNDANTLY ANNOY YOU ALL WITH MY RAMBLINGS! HAZZA! ;D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread