MARATHON Reveal Trailer (Gaming)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 15:53 (336 days ago) @ Schooly D

strange signals hint at mysterious artifacts, long-dormant ai, and troves of untold riches. you are a runner, venturing into the unknown in a fight for fame… and infamy.

by 2850, clone technology allows a person to reliably shift their consciousness from their ‘born’ body to new, synthetic bodies and back again.

The premise sounds like a clever self-aware metaphor for the game itself: wearing the Marathon IP as a skinsuit to cash in on the Next Big Thing: extraction shooters.

(Edit: the above sounds a bit harsh, I'm sure it will be a fun game that people really enjoy and given Bungie's track record one can be confident it won't be a broken mess like other AAA games)

Credit for not going the 343i route and being slightly ahead of the curve rather than behind it (in a meeting room at 343i right now a PowerPoint slide asks: "BATTLE ROYALE: The Next Big Thing??").

I wonder how Marathon fans receive this. It's so different from the original series I don't think there's a risk of damaging the legacy and they'd be happy with the deluge of references and callbacks, but maybe they were holding out hope for another single-player game with ultra-super-deep lore.

I genuinely had to look up what an "extraction shooter" is... I'm so behind on current gaming trends.

I never played the original Marathon and all I know of it are the references\call backs\easter eggs that were placed into Halo. That said, I agree that it is nice knowing there is a very low chance that Bungie would mess up the release of this. I know it will play well and be of good quality, which is how I felt about Destiny even though it was hard for me to get into it I can acknowledge it was a well made game. I still have a hard time getting into live-service stuff but maybe Marathon will be different?

I'm sure it will be full of microtransactions and Cody will never play it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread