There's no money in success (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 26, 2023, 06:32 (308 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, May 26, 2023, 06:37

Obviously the most disappointing thing is the lack of a single player story experience. The irony is that the games that are dominating now in terms of sales, like Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War, Pokémon Arceus, Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil 4…

These games have single player experiences.

And yet, so many are chasing free to play, live game, or game as service.

The very core of Marathon was the story experience. People are absolutely buying, and valuing, games with a great campaigns. Are we in a time where there's less money in success than service? Where free to play is more lucrative than a normal game? Do successful single player games just not make enough money?

Do think Marathon will become the next CS:GO? Or do you think it's more likely to become Disintegration? Something in between? I certainly trust Bungie to nail the PvP experience for a huge range of skill levels.

But as I've grown older I've lost interest in pure PvP experiences. I'm not 15 anymore, and it's not 1999 with Unreal Tournament dominating. Games provide better immersion through aesthetics today than through challenge. More meaningful. More artistic. I fear Marathon will simply be… a game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread