MARATHON Reveal Trailer (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 16:28 (338 days ago) @ Revenant1988

strange signals hint at mysterious artifacts, long-dormant ai, and troves of untold riches. you are a runner, venturing into the unknown in a fight for fame… and infamy.

by 2850, clone technology allows a person to reliably shift their consciousness from their ‘born’ body to new, synthetic bodies and back again.

The premise sounds like a clever self-aware metaphor for the game itself: wearing the Marathon IP as a skinsuit to cash in on the Next Big Thing: extraction shooters.

(Edit: the above sounds a bit harsh, I'm sure it will be a fun game that people really enjoy and given Bungie's track record one can be confident it won't be a broken mess like other AAA games)

Credit for not going the 343i route and being slightly ahead of the curve rather than behind it (in a meeting room at 343i right now a PowerPoint slide asks: "BATTLE ROYALE: The Next Big Thing??").

I wonder how Marathon fans receive this. It's so different from the original series I don't think there's a risk of damaging the legacy and they'd be happy with the deluge of references and callbacks, but maybe they were holding out hope for another single-player game with ultra-super-deep lore.

I genuinely had to look up what an "extraction shooter" is... I'm so behind on current gaming trends.

I never played the original Marathon and all I know of it are the references\call backs\easter eggs that were placed into Halo. That said, I agree that it is nice knowing there is a very low chance that Bungie would mess up the release of this. I know it will play well and be of good quality, which is how I felt about Destiny even though it was hard for me to get into it I can acknowledge it was a well made game. I still have a hard time getting into live-service stuff but maybe Marathon will be different?

I'm sure it will be full of microtransactions and Cody will never play it.

What we're likely seeing here is gameplay set within a scenario in the context of the Marathon universe (or perhaps a reboot, or a new instance of the Marathon universe, depending on what one might argue happens after the end of Marathon Infinity). Any plot would likely move incredibly slowly. The game may also be a platform to help establish the world building that could lead into a more narrative focused game after the fact.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread