my dumb, secret hope ... (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 30, 2023, 08:45 (325 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Blizzard scrapped a campaign with Overwatch that they promised. There is no way Bungie will add one that they did not.

I said I wouldn't bet on it, but it would be a heckuva way to underpromise at this stage of the reveal.

In all the years of Destiny, they have never once underpromised. You’d think if they were going to learn that lesson, the launch of Destiny would have been the thing to learn from. They haven’t yet, so I won’t hold my breath.

Maybe you didn't see the title of the post, or the part where I said I wouldn't bet on it..

Their track record before Destiny was pretty great, and I disagree, Destiny content has exceeded expectations. Even in D1, the raid exceeded expectations. Did anyone see the Dreaming City coming?

Rhetorically, there's been some nod toward PVE (or it could be I'm remembering someone's misinterpretation), and I expect Bungie to try some combination that hasn't been done before. There may be more that satisfies players like me than I can imagine right now. But why be hopeful when we can shit on Bungie again. I lapsed into 2000-era fandom. Pardon me.

Well, one of the example scenarios in the Vidoc was running into a Compiler and having an "oh no" moment, so...I struggle to see how that is anything but PvE unless they're incorporating Dead by Daylight-esque gameplay by default (much less likely). XD

The premise reminds me of The Division's Dark Zone. It's an interesting concept, but hard to pull off in an appealing way outside of its niche.

They also say that you have a choice to interact with other players. I guess I'm remembering how, as Destiny was starting, they struggled not to be boxed in by the MMO label. If I know Bungie, they're trying to do something that's at least a little different than what has been done. Although the've obviously gone with the PVP extraction shooter label, I'm obviously hoping for more.

A side rant: I know this is just a teaser, but these so-called vidocs have become less substantive as time goes on. You used to have people like Jaime Greisemer or Jon Butcher or Paul Bertone saying insightful things about their process and the serious challenges they set up for themselves. Now I get the impression they use 3 seconds of screen time in vidocs simply to boost the morale of employees. We don't have time to get to know much at all about the employees beyond their name and face, and it's a crapshoot whether what they say has any relation to their job title. It's like reading blurbs on a movie poster. If I were at PAX and recognized someone from this cast of 100s, I'm not sure I'm remember what they did or what they said and be able to start an interesting conversation with them (as has happened in the past). It was nice to see Elliott Gray's smile, though./rant

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread