Tyson Green (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:33 (3757 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"If you have a game that people play for 8 hours, or 15 hours, or even like 20 or 30 hours, but then they stop playing, you don't really have time for a community to form around that, or time for friends to stick."

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hey Tyson, Marathon and Halo did just fine in forming communities and getting people to stick around, despite not having investment systems. Halo / Halo 2 in particular. Why? BECAUSE THEY WERE FUCKING FUN.

Duuuuuhhhhhhhhhh if you want people to stick around MAKE IT SO YOUR GAME IS FUN ENOUGH TO KEEP PLAYING. Forget investment shit. I'm like a manic depressive here. I read Jason Jones' interview and get TOTALLY HYPE for Destiny, only to listen to this shit and be disgusted again.

Investment systems don't make games better. Making a good game makes it better.

I think you're sort of misapplying the term 'investment' and acting like it's a rusty fishook that a developer wants to hide in the center of your lollipop. You can't honestly say Bungie is going to muster behind the banner they've made out of making-the-games-they-want-to-play and then include *by explicit design* mechanisms just to get you to play a crappy game longer, because they somehow benefit from that. It would be dishonest at best. Did we even watch the same interview vid? It feels like he went to significant effort to get across that they're shooting for a quality of experience that will be free of those kind of mechanisms that impede fun.

It seems like after every release you reset your appraisal of their credibility and expect them to have to work to earn every scrap of it back. You know they consider your (and all of our) input into what they do, I guess I just don't see how disrespecting that which you cherish in order to make it better(through some kind of crucible of distrust and scorn) is supposed to somehow elicit a better end result. That's just not productive, man.

As someone with a significant creative bent, you of all people should understand the increased quality of work and satisfaction in completing a project you know to have been made better through your own self-criticsm, should you not? You can't sit there from on-high and say they aren't making those same efforts.

If you want all your self-righteousness to count for something, if you want to be taken seriously as a seasoned and trustworthy vector for input on something we all want to be enthralled with, why would you dilute your contribution with an unnecessarily shrill tone?

It just throws the signal-to-noise coming out of you completely out of whack.

Matter of fact, I'm kind of insulted that you keep up like this. I'll venture to say that most folks around here recognize you as a pretty intelligent guy. I'm confident that if you were being honest with yourself, you would know the place they're communicating from and accept it for what it is instead of...whatever it is you're doing.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread