Tyson Green (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:07 (3785 days ago) @ Malagate

I think you're sort of misapplying the term 'investment' and acting like it's a rusty fishook that a developer wants to hide in the center of your lollipop. You can't honestly say Bungie is going to muster behind the banner they've made out of making-the-games-they-want-to-play and then include *by explicit design* mechanisms just to get you to play a crappy game longer, because they somehow benefit from that. It would be dishonest at best. Did we even watch the same interview vid? It feels like he went to significant effort to get across that they're shooting for a quality of experience that will be free of those kind of mechanisms that impede fun.

I should give him credit for that. However all of that is in the context of having a player investment system to begin with, so by that very fact the game is worse than it otherwise would be. Destiny may be great, but if it were designed without investment systems it would be greater.

It seems like after every release you reset your appraisal of their credibility and expect them to have to work to earn every scrap of it back.

This is not correct. I still do not like ODST, and Reach I was merely skeptical about because of ODSTs quality. Nothing about Reach's systems made me inherently worried, and after the Beta I knew it was good.

You know they consider your (and all of our) input into what they do, I guess I just don't see how disrespecting that which you cherish in order to make it better(through some kind of crucible of distrust and scorn) is supposed to somehow elicit a better end result. That's just not productive, man.

He noticed. It's productive. Assuming they take our input into account, which I doubt they do. It's not disrespect. It's just being direct. If Tyson or Dan met me in real life the encounter would seem much more positive, I assure you.

As someone with a significant creative bent, you of all people should understand the increased quality of work and satisfaction in completing a project you know to have been made better through your own self-criticsm, should you not? You can't sit there from on-high and say they aren't making those same efforts.

Every day I hear a million different opinions: this sucks, that's good etc. I just screened a documentary I cut about the life of a certain man, and half the people who saw it hated it because we didn't put him on a pedestal, but instead looked at his life in a humble, almost melancholy way. They said the approach was idiotic (because many people in the room considered him a personal hero), but others LOVED what we did. In the end you do what YOU think is right, but you have to be prepared for others not to share the same opinion.

If you want all your self-righteousness to count for something, if you want to be taken seriously as a seasoned and trustworthy vector for input on something we all want to be enthralled with, why would you dilute your contribution with an unnecessarily shrill tone?

Maybe because some people are smart enough to listen to the words, and not how they are said? It's not a personal attack.

Matter of fact, I'm kind of insulted that you keep up like this. I'll venture to say that most folks around here recognize you as a pretty intelligent guy. I'm confident that if you were being honest with yourself, you would know the place they're communicating from and accept it for what it is instead of...whatever it is you're doing.

Then ban me and call it a day.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread