Tyson Green (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Monday, December 16, 2013, 08:25 (3784 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You are incorrect when you say investment compliments 'gameplay'. In essence, everything you ask your player to do is 'gameplay'. Thus, the systems of investment you ask your players to use or play with, become part of the game. They are kind of the same thing in a way.

Now if they systems of investment themselves are compelling and fun, well then that's just called 'gameplay' isn't it? And that's YOUR job isn't it?

I agree with this 100%.

I don't think ANY game has been made better by an investment system. Not a single one. They are perhaps the biggest blunder of modern game design in the last few years.

I don't agree with this 100%. I think in the MMO world giving a player a longterm goal that requires substantial investment of time to achieve can make for interesting gameplay. It makes the reward that much more satisfying if it takes ages to cross the line.

I will say that my initial post was rude, and so I do apologize for the tone, but not the content. Please do not interpret this as an attack on your person or the studio's efforts, but rather a point made that investment systems are not necessary (and in fact harmful) for a healthy community and lasting experience.

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread