Tyson Green (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 05:09 (3783 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by electricpirate, Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 05:20

I don't think ANY game has been made better by an investment system. Not a single one. They are perhaps the biggest blunder of modern game design in the last few years.

I mean, this is where you go off the rails these are all games that rely heavily on player progression for their core design. They are also some of the most beautiful and important games in years.

EVE
Diablo
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
World Of Warcraft

Please read the words I write. I say exactly what I mean.

No game has been made better by investment systems. Does this mean there are no good games that have them? No. These games would be better if designed in such a way that there were no investment systems.

I don't think ANY game has been made better by an investment system. Not a single one. They are perhaps the biggest blunder of modern game design in the last few years.

I mean, this is where you go off the rails these are all games that rely heavily on player progression for their core design. They are also some of the most beautiful and important games in years.

EVE
Diablo
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
World Of Warcraft

I'm actually directly answering what you are saying. These games *could not be* what they are without investment systems. If you remove the investment systems the entire core design wold be something else. Dark Souls generates a huge amount of tension by giving you an investment system that can be used as a reward, but that you can lose at any time. EVE battles, scams, and schemes are meaningful because the actual result of hundreds of hours of game play are on the line.

PS. WoW and Diablo are not good games.

jooo crazy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread