Tyson Green (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:56 (3785 days ago) @ Dmiller
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:37

Cody. Tyson's job is investment. He doesn't handle gameplay. That is my job. I (and others in my group) handle gameplay. We make sure the game is fun. Player Investment and Gameplay compliment each other- they aren't at odds. Just because there is investment doesn't mean there is no gameplay or not a focus on gameplay. We have triple the amount of level and activity designers than any of our Halo games. We have Old school Vets and fresh blood. Our sole focus is building great and memorable encounters- just like we did with Halo.

I don't believe that Destiny won't generally be like Halo; I actually think the game system and the possibilities look very cool. I wouldn't keep buying your games if you guys weren't the best at what you do.

BUT.

You are incorrect when you say investment compliments 'gameplay'. In essence, everything you ask your player to do is 'gameplay'. Thus, the systems of investment you ask your players to use or play with, become part of the game. They are kind of the same thing in a way.

THAT is what's worrying. If you guys do have so much more content as you say, then why is an investment system even necessary? Why can't players play the game until they stop having fun? And if you want them playing longer, why not make your game bigger / more challenging so that they have fun longer? The investment system is essentially a way to keep players playing beyond when they otherwise would stop right? Folks stop playing the game when they aren;t having fun, so such systems basically get players to play when they otherwise aren;t having any fun.

Now if they systems of investment themselves are compelling and fun, well then that's just called 'gameplay' isn't it? And that's YOUR job isn't it?

I don't think ANY game has been made better by an investment system. Not a single one. They are perhaps the biggest blunder of modern game design in the last few years.

I will say that my initial post was rude, and so I do apologize for the tone, but not the content. Please do not interpret this as an attack on your person or the studio's efforts, but rather a point made that investment systems are not necessary (and in fact harmful) for a healthy community and lasting experience.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread