Nice. Definitely my favorite version.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Monday, February 25, 2013, 08:27 (4049 days ago) @ kapowaz

I spent quite a while playing with adding ‘damage’ to the bottom of the b.org ring/sphere logo to match The Traveler, but ultimately I decided it just didn't work; the way I interpret it, the ring is casting a shadow over the circle in the background and so any ‘damage’ there had to be masked, but that didn't leave nearly enough surface on the circle itself for the damage to be recognisable. The end result was always inferior to leaving the b.org logo pristine, so instead I worked on creating something that made the city skyline more recognisable at smaller sizes (this having the added virtue of distinguishing the design from the original Bungie Alpha Lupi wallpaper). This is what I've ended up with:

[image]

I'm thinking the text set below the logo could be optional, but I prefer DBO to DESTINY.BUNGIE.ORG, given just how wide that ends up when set with the same letter-spacing as Bungie's original logo used. Others have chosen to use typefaces other than Futura for this, but that feels plain wrong to me (or at least, it does when it's using one of the fonts bundled with MS Office). Anyway I feel like this is getting somewhere now.

I've stated it before, but I love how many layers/references there are in such a simple image. Marathon, B.Org, The Traveler, The Last City and, subtly, even Halo (referring to the middle ring design of the B.Org emblem) are all accounted for.

I feel like it sums up the Bungie community's past and present, with a glance into the future.

What's the next step, anyway? Do we need to collate all the potential candidate designs and do some sort of refine/remix pass? Any site admins care to comment?

Honestly, I would also like to know. We have some very talented people, and I feel like we'll never be able to decide if this goes on much longer. So. Many. Good. Candidates...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread