Only kinda sorta uncalled for. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 20, 2015, 14:19 (3448 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You're basically asking Destiny owners who have not yet shelled out for a new console to pay the price of your impatience because Bungie should prioritize you over them because you bought a new console.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that its a natural reaction for new console owners to get a little frustrated over their game being "held back" because of old hardware. As I said in another post, we knew the game would be a cross-gen title, but we also thought the game would be very different than it is. Bungie specifically showed us things/said things that later had to be taken out, at least in part because the old consoles couldn't handle it.

Such as?

This one's a sore point with me because it feeds directly into the "Bungie lied" nonsense. We know that levels were made the size they were to accommodate the last-gen consoles. That player and AI count per area were kept where they are in order to support last-gen.

First of all, I personally do not fall into the "bungie lied to us" camp. Didn't mean to come across that way. I know full well that stuff changes during development all the time. We want developers to be more open about the stuff they're working on, then we get pissed off when stuff changes. Devs just can't win :)

But I do think that it is fair, in the case of Destiny, to say that the game that shipped is very different from what we were lead to expect. I don't say that with any hostility or negativity. It's just different.

As far as specific examples, you pretty much listed the all things that jump to the top of my brain. We were lead to believe that the open-world play spaces would be much larger and more densely populated than they are. The more recent discussions about Vault size being limited to keep things working on last gen consoles is another example.

The thing is, when players start asking "why did this get changed?" or "why can't we have more X?" and the same answer keeps coming back: "because last-gen machines couldn't handle it", it's easy for our imaginations to run a little rampant. What else had to be watered down or nerfed just to get Destiny to run on the 360 and PS3?. And that's not a fair train of thought to go down, but it's easy to slip in to.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread