The butthurt is strong with the internet today. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 14, 2015, 15:23 (3230 days ago) @ Funkmon

I know we've talked about this a bit here at DBO recently, but I'm shocked by some of the rampant negativity on twitter today around Xur selling Gjallarhorn. Of course, there's plenty of celebration going around. But I'm seeing a surprising amount of rage and frustration coming from people in my feed... people who I normally think of as being thoughtful, reasonable, and generally positive. Everything from "this is a spit in the face to people who earned Gjallarhorn" (tough to count the number of things wrong with that statement) to "Bungie is just dangling it in people's faces right before they make it useless".

It seems like there is a portion of the gaming community that is so angry about Destiny that they will find a way to complain about literally any piece of news or info. This has always been somewhat true of many games, but I feel like it is getting a bit crazier lately. I had a discussion with someone a few days ago who said he had stopped playing Destiny because "there was no point to playing PvE because PvP players got all the best gear" (???!!!). Another friend of mine said he couldn't forgive Bungie for selling House of Wolves as DLC because the brief clip of the Reef social space in a trailer a couple years ago is proof that the content was finished before the game launched (WTF?!).

What I find frustrating yet fascinating about all of this is the level of insanity and flagrant misinformation that Destiny haters seem to cling to. Even Arthur Gies at Polygon (who I generally admire and have loads of respect for) was raging at Destiny a few weeks ago for only having "about 15 missions", when it is actually closer to 30, not including strikes, raids, quests, etc.

This isn't the usual "difference of opinions" that I expect to hear from the gaming community over any title. What I don't understand is "why". I get why some people wouldn't like Destiny. That's fine. But why the blinding rage and complete lack of logic or reason from people who are generally logical and reasonable? I guess Alfred was right. Some people just want to watch the world burn, lol

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread