Unnecessary (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 21:32 (3230 days ago) @ Beorn

I'm not being a jerk about it. That wasn't supposed to sound jerky, but a rationalization in a jokey manner. I'm not sure I've ever been serious in my life, and all my posts should be taken with good humour. I think people who want to inhibit (no matter how minor the inhibition is) my talk about it are being jerks about it. I've been "spoiled" plenty of times. I was only even mildly upset once, and it was for show. It's just part of life. If I went on HBO within the first two weeks of Halo 5 and spoiled stuff, that is probably mean. But on a small game on a forum not even about it, deep in the thread, no. It's fine and I'm unapologetic.

It's unreasonable to call people talking about stories jerks, or say they're acting jerky, when in fact only a small number of people will even be affected by it. Even in your example, when Breaking Dawn was spoiled for me by me visiting a forum while I was in Germany, I thought, "Oh man! That is crazy!" I felt no disdain for the people talking about Bella and Edward. It's their life and interests. I didn't tell the Avril Lavigne off topic forum to use the spoiler tags. Let people talk about whatever. People shouldn't restrict their talk based on a theoretical person who deeply cares about a story wholly unrelated to the general subject of a discussion but has for good reasons been unable to experience it firsthand. That is ridiculous.

We have different points at where something becomes fine to spoil. Darth Vader is Luke's Father, Neo is The One, we are fine there. We both agree those are fine, I am sure. Cortana sacrifices herself in Halo 4? That's more debatable. To me, it is in the clear. To others it may not be. Skolas being taken by the Queen? We've all decided that is all right, despite Vagueness not having the DLC. This is why you guys thinking I'm an asshole seems as ridiculous as me thinking you're assholes for spoiling the end of Breaking Bad. Which Mythbusters did last week, BTW.

I know I ask people to try to be more positive and it isn't unreasonable for people to ask me to be more spoiler conscious. Just due to my principles, and I know this sounds hypocritical and stupid, I will not be more spoiler conscious. I'm going to talk about what I like here, how I like here, within the rules, where I think it's fair. If there is a spoiler rule about non Destiny stories, I won't spoil then anymore. In fact, I would probably just not even discuss non Destiny stories. It's just not worth it. And I am sorry about that. I just feel absolutely disgusting inside putting spoiler tags on that stuff.

For those who don't want to be spoiled, you should probably never read my posts. I do talk about other stories with my friends here and I'm not cagey about them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread