Is Life is Strange worth experiencing? (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Friday, August 14, 2015, 18:40 (3230 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Funkmon, Friday, August 14, 2015, 19:23

Gameplay is dull, lip sync and mocap is so off that I wonder if it is on purpose, bad graphics covered up by highly stylized art.

The story and the time travel mechanic are very cool. So cool it makes the game worth experiencing. And honestly it isn't even the story that is cool, it is how it feels. It feels real. Something I hate in teen stories is that they never go to the police or their parents or authority when there is a problem. In this game, you have that option. And in general, they don't listen to you or give two shits. It feels very much like being in high school. There are cliques and friends and people being mean for no reason, but when you get them away from their crowd, they become kind of nice. Just like in school. There are moments in the game where you just waste time with your friend when you should be doing other stuff. You have to deal with a boy who you're friend zoning but he hasn't realized it yet. These little details in the story make it feel real, and it allows you to be connected to the world and feel like you're making real decisions more than other games.

It's also not like telltale games. Because you're in an ostensibly real world, when you are placed in an area, you can spend 30 minutes screwing around before you do what you're supposed to do in the story, giving you the illusion of freedom. There are 12 people you can talk to instead of 3, and most of them won't have anything useful to say. This contrasts to the telltale games where any time you control your character you must do a very specific thing, and you are only controlling your character to change the order it's done in.

So where this game wins is in immersion.

Should you buy it? Nah. Not if you weren't already interested. There is a reason critics give it a 6/10. This game appeals to the exact people it appealed to when they first heard about it. I think it would be very difficult to win someone over with it.

Cody is right, it's the best example of this genre, but the genre isn't for everyone. It's one of my fave games of all time, but I don't know if you'll get much out of it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread