Bigotry, armchair speculation and prejudice

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:57 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:01

There are lots of negative stereotypes associated with gamers in general. But if you're going to accept all such stereotypes at face value then you have a very small-minded worldview indeed (and one wonders what other prejudices you'll readily accept). Regardless, your perception is not grounded in experience and so the shoe fits: this is just bigotry.

Maybe my best friend in college was a huge MMO player, both FFXI and World of Warcraft. Maybe he somehow managed to be 'hardcore' but at the same time socialize and have the reputation as being the best dressed in his program, have lots of male and female friends, and generally be a pretty sweet dude. Maybe I talked to him about it, and even watched him play if not take over and play myself for a few moments.

Maybe my first roommate dropped out because he played so much WoW, but that was okay because he was rich and just went somewhere else.

Maybe you have no idea what my views are, or that I have seen both ends of the spectrum.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread