Destiny, Social Gaming, Shared World, and Numbers

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:32 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Nothing in the content jumped out as grind gated to me; the arenas were designed so you could manuever, you had slides, and double jumps to avoid fire, only a few attacks were hitscan. As long as you can avoid damage, and deal damage player skill can trump stats. I'm looking forward to seeing the exact balance of these things, as hopefully it hews closer to something like Dark Souls, where Soul Level 1 video series are a thing.

Since a few have pointed out comparisons to Borderlands, I'd like to point out that in Borderlands it's impossible to not take damage, and in fact, it's built into the gameplay. Some classes even have skills built around getting your face murdered.

Yea, good point. That's one of my big annoyances with borderlands, and something that Halo gets right. In fact, Halo's one of the few modern shooters where you actually have some ability to avoid fire, so I'm really glad to see Destiny keeping that part of Halo. It's one of those, "Small design, huge change" kind of thing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread