Destiny, Social Gaming, Shared World, and Numbers

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 23:52 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

Leaving aside some of your more . . . Cody-like comments . . .

The idea of having a shared world, AND the player becoming a legend is incompatible. Bungie describes Destiny as a shared world shooter, and also tells us our mission as a guardian is important and we can become legend.

I think this is an interesting point, and one that got to me when we were watching the trailer and the Guardian met the pale-faced-man in the Wilds.

Is this guy just sitting in his bunker waiting for every player to come past? What happens if two people come past at once? This reminds me of when my sis and I would play co-op in Halo and run to trigger the cutscene so it would be 'our' Chief who was getting the canon plot points. Sure, it was just a silly little minigame we made up, but it comes from exactly this issue. Who is moving the story forward?

We have so precious few ways of moving our own stories forward in life that I think it's an important component of gaming fantasy.

I'm guessing those portions of the game take place in a private space, so those cutscenes will feature only you and your party, not any randoms who happen to be in the same area.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread