Destiny, Social Gaming, Shared World, and Numbers

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:46 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Appeal to authority? Yes, that was fallacious, but it was true. If you want me to elaborate on it, to show you why the writers know what they are talking about, I could. But I'm not going to because I'd just wind up relaying an entire chapter, and I really shouldn't have to be defending my position so.

Isn't there a pretty big debate in the D & D community about roleplaying vs. stats? Or am I remembering something different? Looks like you on Cody are on the opposite sides of the question.

Yes, there is. I'm not arguing stats are better, though:

All of those could probably make for great fun, but so can stat-heavy D&D, even if people don't bother with character personalities. To each their own, Cody.

Nope, stats are fairly important in the games I play in.

That's just my group, and only my perception of it at that.

My point, apparently poorly communicated last time, is that there is a spectrum of ways to play, and that any place on that spectrum is fine. Had I said "stats are more important" or "stats are necessary" I would be making an argument just as dumb as Cody's. This is fun we're talking about; everyone will have a different concept of it. I just really hate when people assert one opinion in a subjective argument is objectively correct or a fact.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread