I mean, you're not wrong. (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Friday, September 23, 2016, 16:24 (2800 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My writing mentor used to say, "The nature of literature is ambiguity," and I think that's what you mean when you say obfuscation is a one of the fundamentals of writing.

I am not sure I agree. Good writing is clear. The reader needs to have a clear understanding of the world, the character, what they want, etc. They can have the wrong impression (such as a twist in a murder mystery), and you can have a little mystery, but the theme and characters should be crystal clear and not ambiguous.

Some of the best writing I've ever read was unclear. But I think the problem here is that Destiny is nothing close to actual literature, and the ambiguity being presented isn't being done in a way like you're describing where there's enough of a story established for the ambiguity and mystery to build around or into a more solid narrative.

If you google JJ Abrams Mystery Box, you can have a look at the principle which does NOT work. It is the reason so many of his films are pleasing and fun in the moment, but do not succeed in a lasting sense. Because these clear elements are not built up, and you are rushed from scene to scene with only the mystery to sustain you. Meanwhile, the characters and their choices make no fucking sense.

A story is much more that what happens. Knowing why is what makes it a story.

Abrams is so hit and miss for me. I've never seen this Mystery Box before, but your post alone mirrors a ton of my thoughts about him and his movies. I still love me some Cloverfield and Super 8, though. And I thoroughly enjoyed Star Wars Episode VII and am so glad he's off of VIII. Also, his Star Trek movies are awesome action movies but really bad Star Trek movies. I know I'm off on an Abrams tangent now, but hey.

Also, when you use the word "clear" a bunch, I assume you're sort of referring to logic, right? Like, coherence. Things can't just be happening because they're happening. There needs to be a why, and the why generally needs to make sense or been built up to and earned. Just making sure I'm reading you right.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread