But that contradicts known facts. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 26, 2016, 15:45 (2777 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My Response: But what about this multipart short story written and paid for by Bungie before Destiny first came out that shows Bungie knew of the origin of the Exo Stranger.

Consider that you have no idea of the timeframe the grimoire was written. What if it wasn't in game because it was being worked on after the game shipped to cert? Not saying that's true, but you don't know that's NOT true. You are guessing as much as you think I am.

If you're going to say that only what Bungie knew about the story at certification is what counts (and not what was in the Grimoire at launch), then yeah, you might be right about the particulars regarding the Exo Stranger. I think Battuta has mentioned here how very late the Grimoire cards were written.

Also, it's not unusual for game stories to change and morph based on how the game development goes. There are many factors to juggle and flexibility and creativity are a must, which is why I could see how a statement from an ex-Bungie employee alluding to this flexibility could be spun negatively.

As for myself, I wouldn't have been bothered at all if you had qualified your statements. Had you said something like, "based on what we've heard about the development of vanilla Destiny and how late the Grimoire were written, it's pretty clear that to some extent they made up the in-game story as they went along," I'd probably agree with that. That's not what you said, though. You said they are (in the present tense) making things up as they go, and that they did not (in the present tense) have a plan, and that was reflected in what we are currently seeing. In the same post you say you don't know if things have changed, but that didn't stop you from saying how things ARE. As usual, it's your grand broad-brush pronouncements that grate. Acting like you were paraphrasing some authority just made it worse.

[Last post on this thread (I hope!)]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread