I mean, you're not wrong. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, September 23, 2016, 17:41 (2794 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Friday, September 23, 2016, 17:44

Also, when you use the word "clear" a bunch, I assume you're sort of referring to logic, right? Like, coherence. Things can't just be happening because they're happening. There needs to be a why, and the why generally needs to make sense or been built up to and earned. Just making sure I'm reading you right.

No not at all. Clarity has nothing to do with logic. It has nothing to do with the audience or reader knowing everything. It has to do with emotional continuity.

Ah, okay. Either way, they don't have to be separate (which I'm sure you know). The audience and reader doesn't have to know everything (or even close to everything) for something to feel earned, valid, or to make sense within a universe that clarity has established. Clarity can enhance all of that, and sometimes logic itself based upon the "rules" of a particular universe establish the clarity of the world and characters and their actions.

I agree and this has nothing to do with what my teacher was saying. She wasn't saying that the story doesn't have to make sense (In fact, fiction has to make more sense than real life.) She was saying that (great) literature leaves room for many interpretations. Hollywood types might characterize a story that lacks nuance or ambiguity as being too "on the nose." That is not art. That is propaganda.

I think there is an important difference between ambiguity and lack of information. Inception is a great example of a movie with an ambiguous ending, but one that provides the viewer with enough information to come up with their own interpretations or explainations for what they are seeing. The Matrix is in a similar boat. Even if the precise nature of all the events is a bit unclear, there is enough material there to give the story weight, and give the viewer thoughts and questions to "chew on" over time. I think that Destiny's story (without the grimoire) is too sparse to pull this off. The ambiguity isn't the problem. It's that we aren't given enough information to take us beyond the most superficial questions.

*edit*

I should add that I think Bungie's storytelling is getting better in this regard. RoI has left me with more to think about than anything in year 1 or 2, which is great.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread