It seems like you want and enjoy "sniper camp-fests"? (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 21:40 (2789 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I don't fall for the if you can't bet 'em, join 'em. I haven't joined the current meta of all Shotgunning all the time, but then again I pretty much avoid PvP except for Iron Banner or for a quest/bounty. And yes, the last one (Iron Banner) was a very frustrating shotgun fest.

Recently you have repeatedly asked for more map verticality and more sniping areas, no?

Yes, yes I have. I'm also simultaneously calling for adjusting snipers to be far longer range weapons than they are right now. They basically rival scout rifles for optimal range right now, which is just silly. Snipers should be pushed back twice as far, IMO. Problem is, not a single map in rotation right now supports that kind of play.

Also, I don't think a sniper camp-fest would be bad if it took snipers longer to ADS such that they pretty much had to stay scoped in (limiting their turning, vision, and movement). It would become a trade - you're completely vulnerable to flanking but you're good at holding a sight line. You know... like a sniper. People who want to play the way snipers currently play would find scout rifles a perfect fit.

I don't mind if there was a sniping gametype that I could simply not participate in, or certain sniping friendly maps that I could veto out of if I don't want to play them on a certain day.
I find sniping to be fun occasionally, but not when it overtakes every map and I'm getting spawn killed by the same person over and over again. (and no, git gud-er is not an active defense or positive piece of advice)

On no map should spawn killing ever be possible. I think all spawns should come with a three second buff that reflects projectiles back at the shooter, simply to discourage spawn camping. The spawns in Destiny are god-awful and need dramatic improvement. Please note that while I'm advocating for having more open space in maps, I don't want to see snipers become the preferred choice. Rather, I'd like to see maps designed such that sniping is an option in a couple of lanes, but also has lanes where sniping isn't effective. Your team would want at least one sniper to hold that long, open area, but the majority of the team would need to be non-snipers in order to compete. It's a delicate balance and one that Bungie has understandably whiffed on.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread