Why Bungie Can't Get it Right (from a design standpoint) (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, October 26, 2016, 21:53 (2789 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As cody said, the optimal TTKs for weapons are faster that you remembered.

For travel time, you're not actually moving 20 meters in 1 second. Rather, you're starting 20 meters away and closing into shotgun OHK range in 1 second. It's more like 11 meters of movement with a max range shotgun, which is about how long you move if you press sprint and immediately slide.

It is admittedly difficult to gauge distance in Destiny. I'm basing my numbers more on what you see in Keen Koala's video, just for clarity. At the range he stands at for what he calls 23 meters, that's just outside of where I know I can sprint/slide/shoot and get a lethal OHK with a shotgun. At the range that he calls 15 meters, that's well within my sprint/slide/shoot range (I probably wouldn't even bother sliding). This is also discussing guardian movement speed at that of a near-max hunter or titan skater, and is *not* the movement speed of most warlock PvP builds, nor could a non-skating titan achieve this speed.

I feel like mentioning that it's a pretty realistic speed for gameplay, which also probably adds to why movement in Destiny feels so good. Human sprinters run at about 10 meters per second (Usain Bolt's world record being 9.58 seconds for the 100 meter dash), so it makes sense that our superhuman destiny dudes run at about the same clip.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread