Something something absolutes (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, October 27, 2016, 20:59 (2792 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The practical application did. I hold no beeves with that. The use of "realism" (see, historical accuracy) for use of arbitrary game logic doesn't hold up. I don't consider that a middle ground, that's reasoning that doesn't follow its own supposition. It's a semantic pet peeve that I have, that's all.

I personally like the way CoD games balance themselves while maintaining relatively flat TTK. So I'm rustled by the game design solutions. Just the reasoning.

This was a CoD game, and arguably the FPS game we have to thank for modern FPSes where different "classes" have different speeds of movement ADS times, and so forth (many credit team fortress 2, but that wasn't until 2007, whereas cod bro was 2005. TF1, which had classes, didn't change any of their speeds of movement, only their abilities). As far as I'm aware, this game was the first FPS ever to make those sorts of adjustments. Both Sony and Microsoft sent us concerns about how the game seemed to make their controllers behave oddly because their in-house people had never seen a game that messed with look speed before.

Anyway, I get that ballistic gel is not the same thing as actual "damage" to a target, but our guy chose to use penetration into gel as his model for per-round damage. That's just what he did. It wasn't a wholly arbitrary decision, but I imagine it was close enough for your purposes. That being said, the rates of fire and ammo capacities were wholly accurate. We could have made the BAR just do no damage (because of the high RoF and mag size) but that wouldn't have made sense. In the end, we got a gun whose use in-game closely resembled it's use in the real world. It was a squad support weapon that worked well as a street sweeper but not so well as a full-on assault rifle.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread