+1 I'd written up almost this exact response (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:15 (2423 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I really don't think many people are going to buy it based off the humorous tone and then be upset that the game's tone doesn't match. In fact, as evidenced by most best selling FPS, most people don't buy FPS games for tone/story, they buy them for gameplay.

I have no idea what the percentages are, but personally speaking, I don't buy any game based on marketing because videogame marketing is often so flagrantly dishonest that it is virtually useless.

I mean, I expect an ad to try and make the product look good. That's obvious. But effective marketing does need to be somewhat honest about the nature of the product being sold. People like to know what they're getting for their money. You don't promote a horror movie by releasing trailers that make it look like a romance.

I was talking to a friend at Ubisoft about this very issue back when SplinterCell Blacklist came out. The trailers made it look like an explosion-filled high octane action game, when the game itself was very much NOT that. I said to him "this is just going to do a disservice to the game and to anyone who buys it based on this trailer".

Then I would say this trailer did a fine job since Destiny is a great action game. Like I said, gameplay is what most people buy an fps off of, not story.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread