Not quite comprehensive (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 31, 2017, 16:40 (2401 days ago) @ Ragashingo

What about D) somebody watches the trailer and likes it, only to find that the tone of the game is different but something they also like, whether or not they were led to expect it,

Or E) somebody watches the trailer and likes it, and finds that the tone of the game is in line with it, because they play it with friends who like to goof off and treat the serious story as something attached to the fun action shooter game they're playing?

Shrug.

I see your point, but I suspect you are missing mine. Working from the presupposition that Destiny 2 is roughly in line with what Destiny 1 through Rise of Iron has been like in terms of tone, then this trailer is false advertising. Plain and simple. They are portraying the game as something that it isn't. Both of your suggested possibilities are plausible, but could only be considered a lucky break from Bungie's point of view.

Lets say you go into a bookstore and ask the staff to recommend a great political thriller. They pull out a book and say "this is exactly what you're looking for!" so you buy it. But when you read it, you discover it's actually magic realism. You might really like the book anyway, but that doesn't mean the staff at the bookstore did a good job.

Whoa whoa whoa. I really meant it when I said “I agree with CruelLEGACEY” earlier. And, I appreciate being wary about advertising, (Hunt the Truth, Believe anyone?) but you yourself are now straying into that realm of dishonesty! Let’s work backwards, shall we? (This won’t take long, I promise!)

Did this trailer have lots of epic shootouts in epic places? Yes.
Will Destiny 2 have lots of epic shootouts in epic places? Yes.
So we’re good there.

Did this trailer have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
Will Destiny 2 have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
Did Destiny 1 have Cayde-6 acting goofy and not taking things seriously? Yes.
And we’re good here as well.

Based on your book store analogy, telling someone that Destiny 2 will feature epic shootouts in epic places and an overly silly robot man would be the truth, not false advertising! There is no false advertising in this trailer. Certainly not the the extent of asking for a political thriller and getting magic realism.

You’re perfectly fine to not like the way a lot of Destiny 2’s advertising has focused on the silliness of Cayde-6, I’m right there with you, but don’t buy so much into your own argument that you lose perspective.

This trailer goes beyond "Cayde acting goofy". To suggest otherwise is not really being honest about what this trailer portrays :)

There is a difference between having a character that cracks 1-liners, as we see in-game, vs the "Saturday morning cartoon" full-blown irreverent comedy that we see in this trailer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread