"We're Listening." (Criticism)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, January 19, 2018, 06:02 (2289 days ago) @ Kermit

I guess I won’t pretend that might not be part of it.

I was excited for the Faction Rally. I wanted that new FWC shader and armor. I played for thirty or forty minutes, doing stuff on the EDZ. Some Public Events and Lost Sectors. And then I didn’t get the tokens that one time and I literally said “this fucking game . . . “ out loud and quit. It wasn’t so much that I didn’t get tokens (although that sucks, and I still don’t think that should ever happen). But that was the catalyst for me to realize I wasn’t actually having fun, and I was just playing to get that armor.

I’m not trying to be negative, just realistic. And it honestly makes me question my entire relationship with the game. I had fun for a month after CoO launched. Now I’m not. I’ll have fun when the next expansion comes out, I’m sure. That’s the way I’m going to have to play the game I think. But that’s sort of a bummer. D2 just isn’t fun for me in the same way D1 was. I don’t know why, I don’t know what the difference is. Ultimately that’s okay, and it’s honestly probably better this way. To think that I put off playing The Witcher 3 for nearly a whole year because I was too busy playing D1 . . .

Again, not trying to be negative, it’s just sort of a bummer to go from D1 which I played a bunch of and enjoyed nearly every single second of to D2, which I play less and enjoy less. It’s a better game in so many ways, but it’s also a less compelling one for me. Maybe that’s a “me” problem more than a problem with D2. I really don’t know. I do know that Bungie exacerbated the feeling with these stupid decisions. Loot lockouts in a freaking loot game is dumb on its face. Doing so without letting the player actually know feels sleazy. Just telling us (in game, with a timer, not in the weekly update after the fact) would honestly make all my bad feelings go away. Instead of being mad that I didn’t get tokens, I’d have just done a different activity and probably never noticed the difference. Whatever their actual motivations, the way they operate and choose to implement these systems feels sleazy and dishonest, and it honestly makes me consider why I want to play a game developed by people that actively dislike me for just trying to play the damn game how they tell me to.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread