One Armed Bandit (Criticism)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, January 19, 2018, 07:17 (2282 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Increasingly, I feel like I'm living on a different planet than most people.

Increasingly, I feel like Bungie is living on a different planet than most people.

If people want to shoot into a cave for hours on end, what’s the harm? It’s honestly hardly different in terms of effort than actually playing the game.

Because the very next thing that happens -- the very next thing-- is the complaints about how the game is boring because the "best way" got get stuff is to do something boring and repetitive.

This is, in fact, exactly what did happen.

What is Bungie “fixing” by limiting the rate at which people can earn tokens? Doing the recommended activity for Faction Rally should never result in getting no tokens. It’s back to Bungie not respecting my time. Even if it’s just a few minutes, it sucks. If I want to do things quickly and efficiently by farming, why shouldn’t I?

Because Bungie wants to limit the delta between the rate of progress for people who min/max this sort of thing and those who don't, at least in part because activities and content are gated based on progress, and the willingness of players to enter into a game with progression is based at least in part on how hard they think it will be to catch up.

Thankfully I realized that I don’t actually care about those ornaments enough to play the game, so I’m not. It still has me down though. It feels like Bungie is being willfully obtuse at this point.

I still don’t hate the game, but I am coming to resent it again for not just letting me do things the way I want.

The game absolutely lets you "do things" the way you want. What you're complaining about is a limit on the rate you earn in-game currencies for doing it, which is sort of a separate thing. The loot economy is sort of broken and the Eververse is a blight and a scandal, but throttling on how often you get a certain kind of payoff in the game really isn't part of it.

Ah, well, for now Breath of the Wild has me engaged in a way it didn’t the first time I tried it. Here’s to hoping the next expansion and all the updates are worthwhile.

At least weapons in Destiny don't have durability.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread