Why not? (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 19, 2018, 09:56 (2237 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Monday, March 19, 2018, 10:33

I said that novels to movies works well a lot of the time because you gain a lot in the adaptation.

You inevitably lose a lot in an adaptation from novel to movie, too.

Last of Us is already using the techniques and presentation of film to a large degree. Thus it does not gain that in an adaptation. The question is whether the removal of interactivity will be of a benefit to the story then. I say not enough to make it worthwhile.

Worthwhile for whom? Maybe not for those who have played the game already, but if it's done well, I'd say that's debatable. (If your imagination can't think of ways in which the film could present aspects of the story better than the game did, it doesn't follow that the limits of your imagination are the same for the people who might make the movie.) Regardless, the Last of Us presents a great story that explores what love is in a time and circumstance when love is a luxury few can afford. Why should the experience of that story be limited to those who play video games?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread