Hah... I should explain (Rogue 1 Spoilers) (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 05:57 (2236 days ago) @ Funkmon

I agree. I didn't like the retcon of not only EU but actual film elements in Rogue One, but I think that some people are throwing the baby out with the bathwater in trashing it and the other movies. They do feel like fan fiction to me...but it doesn't mean they're bad, and it also doesn't mean that slight inconsistencies in how things work are errors or retcons or re imaginings.

In much the same way midichlorians are entirely fine and consistent with the force as laid out in Star Wars, so are the seemingly strange parts of these movies.

There's no need to have rumours floating around of a secret Imperial enforcer. We know about that guy. We know the bad guys know about that guy. We know seconds after this movie ends that the Rebels know about that guy, as seen in Star Wars.

Some stuff is just fine. If it can be easily made sense of, there's no problem.

For me, just because something can be “made sense of” doesn’t mean it’s good. And I get that some people just want to stare at a screen for a couple hours and not feel bored. Sometimes that’s all I want from a movie too. But I want more from Star Wars. I know they’re far from the high watermark of film. I go into them expecting some silliness and fun. But I also expect them to deliver when it comes to compelling characters and archetypal mythological motifs. R1 is mostly missing those elements, which would be fine if they were replaced with, well, anything. But I got absolutely nothing from it. No heart or soul under the pyrotechnics. That’s why it’s such a flop for me. But that’s, like, just my opinion man :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread