Why not? (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 18:13 (2236 days ago) @ slycrel
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, March 20, 2018, 18:16

For the most part, all 4 of my kids prefer watching me play games than actually going through the work of learning to play them themselves. This isn't always true, but for most games it is. I think there are a lot of reasons for this, but as has been pointed out, it's much more challenging to just pick up and play something. I think that's why mobile games are both beloved and scoffed at at the same time.

I think it took me about 3 or 4 years to become 'fluent' in video games. I started at around 5ish, and would struggle with Mario. Getting to the world 1 castle was mind blowingly hard. Even beating a single robot master in Megaman was nearly unthinkable. But the more I played, the better I got not just at specific games, but games in general.

By the time I was 8 or so it all kind of 'clicked', and I was able to beat Tyson in Punch Out. In round 2, but still. After that I could finish any game I wanted to really.

All things considered, that's not really a large chunk of time when you think about it. If you can spend 3 years learning, and then be able to play every video game made subsequently, it seems worthwhile no? With the easy modes these days, it might not even take that long.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread