I had a good time yesterday, too... (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 22:08 (1912 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You mean fun and dynamic with exciting guns and powerful abilities, rather than the bland, watered-down combat D2 launched with? ;p

I like some of the changes made in the past year/year and a half. There was a bit too much of everyone pinging back and forth at each other from across the map without any kills. But my solution would have been to ramp up grenades a bit so that they were deadly enough to break up clumps of players. Instead, we're back to Destiny 1 gameplay where I get killed by special weapons more than primary weapons. By bringing back things like shotguns and cramming every fusion rifle into the special slot, Bungie has broken what I thought was an extremely well balanced sandbox.

Now, weapons like SMGs are pointless because that is prime shotgun range. Weapons like The Last Word barely have enough range to challenge the shotguns. And we have bunches of players running around with Telesto and Jotunn, which are so firmly power weapons that I can't understand why people get to respawn with two shots in them.

And then there was the change from 3 hit melee kills back to two. I hate that. With three hits to kill there was strategy. You could fail to land the first punch but still eek out a victory by switching to a close ranged weapon. Or, you could sometimes follow up an exchange of gunfire with a melee to get a quicker kill. By changing that, Bungie broke the lower Striker build (what's the point of the long range melee after breaking their shields anymore?) and broke my favorite armor ACD/0 Feedback Fence (which went from being a viable option to one that almost never changes the outcome of a battle) and generally makes it so that whoever punches first wins with very little tactical options.

But more than that, the fact that the gun is SO GOOD on PC...

I get extremely wary when pro players start talking this way. It means that they are about to demand something be changed significantly. For the worse. So, next stop is The Last Word being the most powerful PvP gun in the game, I guess...

but rather how bloom and recoil mechanics work on console, which is another issue that many hardcore PvP players have been talking about for months.

I'm having flashbacks to the way "hardcore PvP players" completely ruined Halo Reach's PvP. If the next demand coming down from Holy Reddit is that bloom and recoil should go away then I will never touch the Crucible again. I've played a version of Destiny where Hand Cannons could hit from across the map and were more useful at range than even Scout Rifles. Let's please not go back to that.

At the end of the day, I am sick and tired of this new attitude of nothing but buffs. There has to be some point where things have been taken too far, where the game is playing too fast. But, aside from the occasional outright broken weapon (Sleeper in Gambit) or crazy overpowered Super (Nova Warp) the constant drum beat is for lower TTK, less recoil, faster player movement, less player health. Enough already!

The grind has already driven me away from Destiny PvE. After I hit the wall of Black Armory I decided to do other things than beat my head against Destiny's Power Level insanity. Now, it sounds like I'm about to being driven out of the only multiplayer FPS I have ever actually enjoyed! :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread