Calling people children for taking offense (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Friday, December 11, 2020, 06:28 (1203 days ago) @ Kermit

I am not calling someone who is offended a child. I would say that having the expectation that whatever offends me must be removed is unrealistic and childish. Moreover, what I’m saying specifically above is that coddling people as if they’re children needing our protection is one of the most disrespectful, damaging, condescending, and offensive behaviors we can engage in—if we’re talking about healthy adults (our current overprotectiveness of children could be its own discussion).

Nobody asked them to take these jokes out - they DECIDED to do it because they no longer felt they were appropriate.

Nobody demanded that the jokes must be removed because they were offensive. The creators looked at the jokes, said "these didn't age well", and removed them.

I'm not an artist - but man, if the whole world were like you and Cody, even if I were talented, I wouldn't create anything. To make something I don't like, but be told "you can't change it because you're erasing history" would simply keep me out of the game in the first place.

We're not talking about book burning here. We're talking about a game developer choosing to correct a youthful indiscretion. And the original IS still available, even if it's harder to access. (And even if it weren't, information about the change itself - including the deleted content - is freely available, as evidenced by the fact that people in this very thread, who never played the game, were able to find it.)

I know we've moved away from Cody's original point; I'm really just responding to your argument that the developers are doing harm to society by sanitizing their work.

When Terry Pratchett died, his assistant fulfilled his final wish - a hard drive containing 10 unfinished novels, the only copy of these works, was placed in a road and run over by a steamroller. (There are pictures.) It's his work, and I 100% support his desire that it be destroyed (as much as I lament the loss).

I guess Cody wasn't really arguing they don't have the right to make the changes they made - he was mostly arguing about the use of the word 'remaster', which to me seems silly but maybe is a real thing to worry about, if you have the time. What you're arguing makes me more unhappy. (I mean, you're not really arguing about the original story either - but you seem to be suggesting that people don't have the right to be shielded from offense, to the point where art should be allowed to exist, once it's created, regardless of the wishes of anyone. Which, of course, includes the creator.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread