Calling people children for taking offense (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 11, 2020, 09:36 (1222 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Much depends on the impact of the art in question and its role as an historical artifact. I agree with Cody in principle, but I don’t care as much as he does about preserving video games—not this one in particular anyway. If Terry Pratchett wants to destroy works that haven’t seen the light of day, that’s his business. When George Luxus decides that the 1977 version of Star Wars shouldn’t exist, that’s a whole different bag.

I'll reiterate my "good thing I'm not creative" standpoint. I'm horrified by what Lucas decided to do with Star Wars, but at the end of the day, it was his. Which means (imo, of course) his to destroy. Monet did it, Georgia O'Keefe did it, Francis Bacon did it.

It's a tragedy... but it's not my place to say it shouldn't be done. (That isn't to say I don't wish it weren't done.)

When you say it's not your place to say it shouldn't be done, I think you're saying you have no right to stop him, which is true, but that doesn't mean we can't decry his choice, and his failure to recognize that his work is bigger and more important in the grand scheme of things than his ego (or should be).

I'm firmly of the belief that if I create something, what I do with it is my prerogative. It might be stolen from me, it might grow and gain new life based on the actions of others (against my will, even)... but if I want to destroy it, I can. It's mine to destroy.

I don't believe that a piece of art can transcend its creator (in the sense that the creator loses rights towards it).

Art that lasts beyond its creator by definition transcends its creator. Bob Dylan just sold his catalog. Seventy-five years after he dies no one will own it.

You seem to assume that I have something against artists revising their work or controlling what work they decide to release. Not at all. I don't mind that Ridley Scott has 372 versions of his movies. There's fiction I love that was revised over the years and had several versions published. You can still access all versions. The ability to play all versions of games is hampered by technology. That's a concern for preservationists, and I think that's the original point of this thread.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread