Calling people children for taking offense (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, December 11, 2020, 08:35 (1231 days ago) @ Claude Errera

When Terry Pratchett died, his assistant fulfilled his final wish - a hard drive containing 10 unfinished novels, the only copy of these works, was placed in a road and run over by a steamroller. (There are pictures.) It's his work, and I 100% support his desire that it be destroyed (as much as I lament the loss).

Because they are UNPUBLISHED. They haven't been released. At that point, when they are either still inside your head or not complete yet, the artist has complete say over who can see it. Because it's the artist's choice as to when it's done and people can see it.

I guess Cody wasn't really arguing they don't have the right to make the changes they made - he was mostly arguing about the use of the word 'remaster',

Correct. For the record, I am 100% on board with cutting the jokes about Bosco's sex change. But Remastering is about preservation. If they wanted to update the game with jokes for a modern sensibility, then just do a remake.

Look at FF7. The versions you can get on Xbox/PS4/Switch don't cut the wall market section because it's really problematic when it comes to depiction of gay men and cross dressers. But the remake turned that section into an LGBTQ celebration.

Words mean things, and I don't think that the people undertaking remasters seem to understand what that really entails. You are essentially an art restorationist when you do a remaster.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread