Calling people children for taking offense (Gaming)

by squidnh3, Friday, December 11, 2020, 08:23 (1231 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'll reiterate my "good thing I'm not creative" standpoint. I'm horrified by what Lucas decided to do with Star Wars, but at the end of the day, it was his. Which means (imo, of course) his to destroy. Monet did it, Georgia O'Keefe did it, Francis Bacon did it.

It's a tragedy... but it's not my place to say it shouldn't be done. (That isn't to say I don't wish it weren't done.)

I'm firmly of the belief that if I create something, what I do with it is my prerogative. It might be stolen from me, it might grow and gain new life based on the actions of others (against my will, even)... but if I want to destroy it, I can. It's mine to destroy.

I don't believe that a piece of art can transcend its creator (in the sense that the creator loses rights towards it).

This is where I was going with my offshoot of this thread with Cody before I had to get back to work. I think I agree with Claude at the moment, but was interested in reading an argument (rather than just repeated statements) to the contrary.

I also am of the opinion that it is a sort of hubris to think that we can dictate to future historians what was important to us. Star Wars has a been around for 40 years - in another 40 years who knows how its significance (let alone the minutiae of the details of the movies themselves) will have waxed or waned.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread