Calling people children for taking offense (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, December 11, 2020, 10:10 (1225 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm firmly of the belief that if I create something, what I do with it is my prerogative. It might be stolen from me, it might grow and gain new life based on the actions of others (against my will, even)... but if I want to destroy it, I can. It's mine to destroy.

Not if it becomes a significant part of culture. At that point preservation is the imperative. This is ostensibly why things are supposed to enter the public domain after a time.

If that's your argument, the other side is true as well. BEFORE a piece enters the public domain, its existence is the purview of its creator, not the public. (Lucas clears that bar with the original Star Wars. And Sam and Max does too.)

Whether one can and whether one should are two different things, and Lucas's destruction of the original Star Wars is widely regarded as a travesty, regardless of whether he could. And one should recognize the reasons why it's a travesty, even if you're the creator. Ridley Scott does. George Lucas does not.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread