I'm legit surprised at how hyped people were for this (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 10:06 (1221 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by cheapLEY, Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 10:16

Don’t get me wrong, me too.

I always thought it looked like a fun game, but the marketing never got me hyped (and did the opposite, more often than not).

I do think it’s a fun game. I think it’s politics fucking suck, though. It sure seems like they missed the whole social commentary part of what Cyberpunk actually is.

In one scene, Jackie (the player character’s best friend) is ranting about cops. Not thirty seconds later, we witness highly militarized cops descend from a ship in an intersection and just murder a group of people and Jackie’s comment is just “they probably deserved it.” The game has been filled with little shit like that.

Cyberpyschos, too. They’re people who get bad tech (or too much tech, or something) and then lose their humanity and go crazy. Like cool, so disabled people get bad prosthetics then go insane. What the fuck is that? So the fixer who wants you to deal with this plays the whole “it’s not their fault, they just need help” to try and soften that shit take, I guess, but then they do just turn out to be boss fights where you can decide to kill them or try and take them out non-lethally. And if you kill them, you basically just get an “oh well, shame you had to kill them” and get your money by and move on.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread