I'm legit surprised at how hyped people were for this (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 14:35 (1219 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I always thought of cyberpunk as a setting, not as a call to action or moral code. Many of the characters are extremely flawed as are the societies in which they live, which are generally dominated by megacorporations. I'll... stop there.

"Cyberpunk can be intended to disquiet readers and call them to action. It often expresses a sense of rebellion, suggesting that one could describe it as a type of cultural revolution in science fiction. In the words of author and critic David Brin:

...a closer look [at cyberpunk authors] reveals that they nearly always portray future societies in which governments have become wimpy and pathetic ...Popular science fiction tales by Gibson, Williams, Cadigan and others do depict Orwellian accumulations of power in the next century, but nearly always clutched in the secretive hands of a wealthy or corporate elite."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

Not that wiki is any authority, but at least one author shares my interpretation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread