I'm legit surprised at how hyped people were for this (Gaming)

by squidnh3, Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 13:18 (1221 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I kind of think in general, history has proven the ethos of cyberpunk to just be flat out wrong. The idea that technology is the equalizer - that rougue hackers can win the hearts and minds of the public and fight the corporate machine with their intrusions. The idea that networking and technology lets you be who you are. That things would be okay if the TRUTH got out. That's… kind of bullshit isn't it? We're seeing how the real way to fight back against the 'man' is to disconnect. Delete your facebook. Stop performing on social media. Buy local and not from Amazon. Get off your computer and organize grassroots. The idea of hackers changing the world seems just like another narcissistic fantasy from those who are themselves disconnected from reality. Why else would hackers adopt aliases that they use everywhere? To create an identity. The identity they wish they were. As time goes on the genre seems as a means of escape and wish fulfillment rather than prescriptive action.

Does cyberpunk really have a uniform message like you describe? I literally just finished reading Neuromancer for the first time and that was not my takeaway.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread