I'm legit surprised at how hyped people were for this (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 11:17 (1225 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is all very well realized as a setting, in some ways. It’s a believable world. But it seems like haven’t really given much consideration to what any of that means in the context of that world, or how it might reflect our own.

I remember the controversy of that ad. I seem to recall either the artist or maybe just the company saying that it shows how everyone and everything is commoditized. Which, fine, but it doesn’t seem like they are interested in exploring that any more. It’s all just set dressing. Very impressive set dressing, I guess, but that’s still all it is.

Which, even that is fine. I think the goal of just making a fun video game is fine, but it still absolutely says something about the politics of the people who made it, or at least the politics of the world in which it was made, and that the game is what it is in that regard is disappointing.

Look at the character creator. You can mix and match genitals, but for no reason whatsoever. The game doesn’t have anything to say about it, it’s just something you can do. Which, again, that’s fine. If it means someone can make V match themselves in that regard, that’s cool! But then they tie the pronoun everyone in the game uses for V to whether you picked masculine or feminine voice. Like c’mon, that should be basic shit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread